A couple months ago Apple published “App Store Review Guidelines” document. At the bottom of this document it said:
Above all else, join us in trying to surprise and delight users. Show them their world in innovative ways, and let them interact with it like never before. In our experience, users really respond to polish, both in functionality and user interface. Go the extra mile. Give them more than they expect. And take them places where they have never been before. We are ready to help.
Well, our 2.5.12 version does just that: it goes that extra mile. You will not find any new earth-shattering features in this release but we went over every single existing feature in the application and tried to improve it even more. So here is what is coming in 2.5.12 after Apple approves it:
- Message history search: every wanted to search your conversation history by keywords? now you can.
- Copy image from clipboard: you can now paste images into the text input box.
- Scroll bounce inside of the text input box now works. This is a very minor detail but it was important for us to get it right and this also fixes autocorrection suggestions for Asian languages.
- Video editing: when you try to send a video to your contact which is too long, the application will now ask you to edit and trim the video instead of just blindly tell you video can’t be sent.
- Video thumbnails: no more will you see the generic blue video thumbnail when sending or receiving videos. We will now generate a thumbnail from the video instead of showing you the default blue thumbnail.
- Application now dismisses Camera when moved into the background. This is a minor detail but that is expected and correct behavior.
- You can now Delete or Forward individual messages without having to go into the full conversation Edit mode. Simply tap and hold on the message bubble to get the Copy/Delete/Forward menu popup.
- Have you ever gotten a video or audio attachment in your Email that you wanted to forward directly to a WhatsApp contact? Now you can: simply tap and hold on the attached file in the Email app.
- Got an iPhone 4? We now generate high resolution thumbnails for pictures that you send to your friends.
- This will probably affect only a very small percentage of you, but application now behaves correctly when you are running low on storage space on your iPhone and try to use Camera for video or picture.
- Full localization updates for languages we support.
- We fixed our contact index bar: it should now work properly with all alphabets.
- Our audio notes recorder got two updates: retina display graphics and localization.
- You can now cancel multimedia during upload or download by pressing on the (X) button in the transparent progress indicator bar.
- We spent A LOT of time trying to improve our networking code. You should see drastic improvements in that area (especially if you use Wi-Fi)
- We added Dutch localization to this release.
- You can now preview pictures before sending them. No more sending the wrong picture by mistake.
- We made rotation from Landscape to Portrait (and from Portrait to Landscape) work much faster.
We worked hard on the 2.5.12 version to bring you our most polished release to date. We hope you will enjoy it.